Elk Venison Green Chile Stew Recipe
The combination of smoky bacon, hominy, onions, mild green chiles and seasonings make this recipe for elk venison green chile stew distinctively delicious
Elk Venison Green Chile Stew Recipe (Nevada Foodies photo)
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 3 ½ to 4 ½ hours
- 2 pounds elk roast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil + extra if needed
- 2 slices thick bacon, chopped
- 3 white onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (27-ounce) can whole mild green chiles, roughly chopped
- 1 (30-ounce) can white hominy, drained
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Whether you choose mild or hot green chiles, they add the perfect amount of spice for that extra kick in this recipe. (Nevada Foodies photo)
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. Heat a heavy stock pot over medium heat and add oil. Working in batches brown the cubed elk meat, remove and set aside when done. Add bacon to the pot and cook until semi-transparent and a little underdone.
3. Carefully add the hominy and sauté until lightly golden and bacon is fully cooked. Remove hominy and bacon leaving bacon grease. Add onions and garlic cooking until onions are soft and translucent, add additional oil if needed.
4. Combine the elk, hominy, chopped green chiles and beef broth back to the pot with the onions. Add the cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and a bay leaf. Cover with a lid and bake for 3-4 hours or until the meat is tender.
5. Serve with warm corn tortillas and garnish with sour cream, avocado, cilantro and sliced jalapeños. You can also cut thin strips from flour or corn tortillas and then fry them in a small amount of oil. The crispy chips really add a nice finishing touch to each bowl full of stew.
Top this Elk Venison Green Chile Stew Recipe with sour cream, avocado, cilantro and sliced jalapeños. (Nevada Foodies photo)
For more elk recipes, visit NevadaFoodies.com.