Venison Recipe: Herb-Crusted Smoked Elk Backstrap
You won't believe how simple and flavorful this recipe is for herb-crusted smoked elk backstrap; just season the venison loin, coat it in bread crumbs, and then let the smoker do all the work
Venison Recipe: Herb-Crusted Smoked Elk Backstrap (Karin Holder photo)
Try this flavorful, easy elk venison recipe by Karin Holder of Raised Hunting.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 3-4 hours
- Elk loin
- Favorite meat rub seasonings
- Garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Cubed French bread
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Garlic salt
1. The night before, rub elk loin with your favorite seasonings, cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. One hour prior to cooking, take loin out of the refrigerator to allow it to come to room temperature. Cut slits into the loin and insert garlic cloves inside. Rub olive oil all over loin.
3. To prepare bread crumb topping, mix cubed French bread, fresh thyme, garlic salt, a little bit of olive oil and toast until turning golden. Then crush mixture to a fine crumb and press onto the top of the loin.
4. Prepare smoker with your favorite wood chips, and then smoke loin for 3 to 4 hours. Finally, finish the loin to desired temperature on the grill. Serve!