Elk Parmesan with Zucchini and Leeks (Recipe)
Tender elk medallions are covered in marina sauce and fresh melted mozzarella cheese on a bed of garden zucchini ribbons and sweet leeks.
- 8-10 elk backstrap medallions (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 4 zucchini peeled into ribbons
- 1 large leek chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Fresh mozzarella (cherry size)
- Diced chives and basil
- In a small pan, stir together marinara sauce and red wine. Heat sauce on low heat being sure to stir sauce so as not to boil.
- Turn oven broiler on so it’s HOT when you’re ready to finish this dish.
- Heat cast iron skillet on stove at medium high heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in cast iron skillet and add chopped garlic and leeks. Cook leeks until they become soft and transparent 6-8 minutes . Add zucchini ribbons to leeks and garlic, stir together and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In a bowl, add grated parmesan cheese to breadcrumbs and stir together. Beat 1 egg in separate bowl. Dip each elk medallion into egg wash and then cover on all sides with bread crumbs.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to same cast iron skillet and keep skillet on medium-high heat. The skillet will still be hot. Place breaded elk medallions in skillet for 1 minute or until golden brown. Turn and cook on the other side. Remove from heat. (Don’t over crowd the elk if your skillet is smaller. Simply cook in two batches.)
- Add zucchini and leek mixture back to skillet. Place elk medallions on top of zucchini. Cover each elk medallion with marinara sauce and top with fresh mozzarella. Place under broiler for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven.
- Garnish with fresh chopped chives and basil.