Holiday Glazed Goose and Gravy Recipe (Photo courtesy of MissHomemade.com)
1. In a saucepan, combine all marinade ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook uncovered until the celery is tender; stirring frequently. Cool to room temperature. Place your goose in a large resealable bag and pour the cooled marinade over the bird; turn to evenly coat. Refrigerate for 4 hours, turning every hour.
2. Bring the goose out of the refrigerator and discard the marinade. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and spray a shallow roasting pan with vegetable oil.
3. Rub the outside of the goose with the canola oil. In a small bowl mix the cinnamon and garlic powder together; rub over the entire bird. Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile in a saucepan, combine the 2 cups of water with the cider vinegar, 1 ½ tablespoon of soy sauce and honey. Bring to a rapid boil and simmer until it is reduced in half.
5. Bring the goose out of the oven after 30 minutes and brush the entire goose with the honey mixture; lightly sprinkle with salt. Place back in the oven and cook another 30 minutes.
6. Now cover the goose with foil and cook until done (1 ½ to 2 hours) or when a thermometer reads 180 degrees.
7. When cooked, bring out of the oven and let it rest, covered for 20 minutes. Do not prick the skin when it is resting or you will loose all of your juice.
8. For the gravy, strain the pan juices and discard any fat. Mix the cornstarch with the water in a small saucepan and whisk until smooth. Add the pan juices and bring to a boil, cooking for 2 minutes or so. Carve your goose and serve with the gravy.