Homemade Corned Venison (Recipe)
Permitted use provided by: MissHomemade.com
- 4 to 6 pound venison roast
- 5 TBS homemade Tender Quick
- 2 TBS homemade brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp bay leaf powder (or crush bay leaves and measure out 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp homemade garlic powder
Mix all ingredients together and rub on roast. Place roast in a resealable bag and place in the refrigerator. Allow to cure 5 days per 2 inches of meat, turning bag once a day. This takes at least 5 to 7 days.
When done, rinse off and cook in crock pot until meat falls apart. During the last hour or so of cooking, add cabbage wedges and potatoes.
Use the leftovers for Reuben Sandwiches. Just place meat on rye bread and add sauerkraut and white cheese; grill like a cheese sandwich. Serve with homemade Thousand Island Dressing.
You may also use the brisket of a moose or elk. Flank meat and shoulder roasts are also great cuts of venison for this particular recipe.
Tried this recipe? Share your comments below using Facebook!