Spring Camping Tips & Necessities
When packing, remember spring can deliver extreme warm, cold, and wet weather—and without much warning. Bring a tent and sleeping bag that are rated for temperatures several degrees below the kind of weather you're anticipating, to be safe.
- Versatile clothing: When packing, remember spring can deliver extreme warm, cold, and wet weather—and without much warning. Be sure to bring clothing for each condition and store clothing somewhere safe from precipitation.
- Shelter: Bring a tent and sleeping bag that are rated for temperatures several degrees below the kind of weather you’re anticipating, to be safe.Also store these in a watertight case or container. And while this goes for any camping trip, be extra sure to bring along a tarp in case of spring precipitation. You might also be wise to bring a tent heater.
- Food and water: Store food in airtight, watertight containers. The Pelican ProGear Elite Coolers are ideal for storing food while camping and have been tested to ensure that items will stay cold for days on end. If you’re planning to cook, bring a stove that will work, as many alcohol and canister varieties are prone to failure in cold weather.
- First aid kit and safety: According to the American Red Cross, all first aid kits should include well-labeled personal medication, bandages, aspirin, hydrocortisone, tweezers, and a first aid instruction booklet, among other items. It is also a good idea to bring a whistle along in case you become stranded. Unlike a voice, a whistle never becomes strained or hoarse. Keep a safety radio nearby to stay updated on looming severe weather. The Etón FRX3 is a self-powered emergency radio and flashlight combo that can even charge a cell phone.
- Flashlight: Of course, you’ll need flashlights for an early spring camping adventure. Make sure you have a minimum of one lighting source per camper.
- Map: A trail map is always a good idea both in case of emergency and for general reference as you explore the nature around you. Keep these dry in watertight cases as well!