This Easy Homemade Gravy Recipe is made with minimal ingredients but is full of flavor and can take the flavor of any wild game to the next level. (Photo courtesy of MissHomemade.com)
Making your own gravy doesn’t have to be a long, hard process that requires pan-drippings from cooking meat. This easy-to-make homemade gravy recipe can improve dishes like a shepherd’s pie or just about any turkey recipe such as this Cajun Deep-Fried Wild Turkey Recipe.
1. Coarsely chop onion.
2. Add stick of butter to pan and melt on medium heat.
3. Add the onion and sauté for 12 to 15 minutes or until translucent and soft.
4. Remove onion only from pan and keep butter in pan for now.
5. Puree the onion in a blender or food processor until smooth.
6. Take the remaining hot butter you left in the pan, add a few tablespoons of flour at a time and whisk to make a roux (paste-like consistency). You may not use the full cup of flour.
7. Add the onion puree to the butter/flour mixture and a bit more flour to keep the roux consistency.
8. Add ¼ cup of stock and then a bit more flour, again to keep the roux consistency. Add the remaining stock and bring to a slow bowl, whisking frequently.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste and continue to cook (slow boil) until the gravy has thickened. If it is too thick you may whisk in a bit of water to thin it out. If it is not thick enough, take 1 cup of the gravy out and place in a bowl. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour, whisking vigorously to prevent lumps and add back to the remaining gravy to thicken in pan.
10. Top the casserole above with gravy if you wish.